University of Pennsylvania
The Leidy Laboratories was originally designed as the Zoology Building for the University of Pennsylvania by Cope and Stewardson in 1910. Ford 3 Architects is beginning work on a refurbishment of the 186 original wood window frames. The original window sash with thermopane glazing from the 1990s will be replaced with new wood sash and insulated glazing. The scope of work also includes restoration to the limestone window surrounds which suffered from the insertion of window air conditioning units. The work will also include the partial replacement and repair of thirty-five terra cotta baluster sections at the parapet, resetting of limestone copings with new flashing, repointing of all limestone trim, exterior cleaning, as well as hardware upgrades at the primary entrance doors. The work is scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2013.