University of Pennsylvania
Facade Restoration & Window Replacement
sweeten alumni house
The E. Craig Sweeten Alumni House was constructed in 1914 by the Philadelphia firm of Bissel Sinkler and Tilden. Originally housing the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, this Elizabethan building went through many changes over the years. In 1967, a fire led to the reconstruction of the interior by Hamilton Murphy Garrison. Shortly thereafter, the building was acquired by the University. In 1981, Dagit Saylor renovated the building and constructed a Post Modern projecting bay at the eastern elevation.
Recently, Ford 3 completed a window replacement and facade restoration for this nearly 100 year old structure. The scope of the project included the instillation of new windows, rebuilding of the front parapet and restoration of terra cotta. The deteriorated 1981 plywood window bay was replaced with copper, which is taking on natural patina as time goes on.